February 28th, 2007
|11:02 am - Lyrics quiz (now with answers)|
Hey, all the non-conformists are doing it...
1. I watch the slow hand / Kill the day...
—Suede, "The Big Time"
2. This disease is catching / From victory to stone...
—Skids, "Into the Valley"
3. We were so turned on / By your lack of conclusions...
—David Bowie, "The Bewlay Brothers" [usagijer]
4. Ev'ry time I phone you / I just wanna put you down...
—Elvis Costello, "No Action"
5. An evening of fun in the metropolis of your dream...
—Wire, "On Returning" [partial credit for artist to bouncingleaf]
6. And if you're up there you'll perceive / That my heart's here upon my sleeve...
—XTC, "Dear God"
7. Strength and beauty destined to decay / So cut the rose in full bloom...
—Killing Joke, "Love Like Blood" [solipsistnation]
8. We are all of us in the gutter / But some of us are looking at the stars...
—Pretenders, "Message of Love" [myainsel]
9. I loved you, well, never mind / I've been crying all the time...
—Big Star, "September Gurls"
10. Like brittle things will break before they turn...
—The Sisters of Mercy, "Driven Like the Snow"
Yes, #8 is a paraphrase of an Oscar Wilde quote, but as far as I know there's only one song that uses it.
7. Killing Joke, "Love Like Blood"
The rest are probably XTC.
Oh, except 8 which is either Frankie Goes To Hollywood or ABC. Somebody androgynous and synthy, anyway. I don't think you like ABC, so I'll go with Frankie. Frankie say "Welcome To The Pleasure Dome" but Frankie is probably wrong. Somewhere in there, anyway.
|Date:||February 28th, 2007 06:37 pm (UTC)|| |
Hmm. Not ABC, not FGTH, not androgynous (boy/girl yes, androgynous no), not synthy in any way. More or less the right time period, though: maybe a little earlier than the stuff you're thinking of.
Hm, okay. No idea then. And here I am listening to Welcome To The Pleasure Dome anyway.
|Date:||February 28th, 2007 06:46 pm (UTC)|| |
Hoo. (And, if I may say so, Hah.)
Oh, you may. You may indeed.
5 is Wire (or maybe He Said), but I don't remember the song title. I can hear that line though.